Saturday, November 25, 2006

Dreidels

What is a dreidel?

The dreidel is a four sided top that is used in a game often played during Hanukkah. On it is writen the first letter for each word in Hebrew for the saying "Ness Gadol Haya Sham" or in English " A great miracle took place there." Or if from Israel "A great miracle took place here." And it is meant to remind one of the story of Hanukkah. According to many stories it was made up during a time when it was illeagal to teach Judaism. People would gather in small groups to study their religion, and if anyone came in they would play with the dreidel as if it was only for gambling.

Lyrics to the Dreidel Song (I have a little Dreidel)

I have a little dreidel,I made it out of clay. And when it’s dry and ready, Oh dreidel I shall play.(Chorus)Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made it out of clay; And when its dry and ready,Then dreidel I shall play.It has a lovely body, With legs so short and thin. And when it gets all tired, It drops and then I win.(Chorus)

Lyrics to Dreidel, Spin, Spin, Spin

Dreidel, spin, spin, spin!Chanukah is a good holiday;Chanukah is a good holiday - Dreidel, spin, spin, spin!
It's a happy holiday for the people;A great miracle happened there;A great miracle happened there - It's a happy holiday for the people.

No comments: