Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Quotes From Lincoln

-Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it.

-As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy.

-Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.

-I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and equal.

-It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.

-Both parties deprecated war; but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive; and the other would accept war rather than let it perish. And the war came.

-Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong.

-When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.

-I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.

-Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them.

-If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?

-Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

-Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.

No comments: