Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Book in Review – The Truth with Jokes

Book Count: 28

The Truth with Jokes By: Al Franken
Non-Fiction: politics 307 pages 2005

This is a book about the 2004 election and the Bush administration as told by a liberal Democrat. First, I would like to say that I didn’t read this book because I thought I would agree or disagree with everything said. I on occasion like to read books of politics from both sides of the political spectrum just to see what they are thinking and why. And giving the way the current election is going, I thought it might be a timely read. That being said this book has lots of information on politics with lots of notes in the back showing where the information came from, but not a lot of jokes and many of the jokes are a lot cheesier then you would expect from a man who is also a comedian. The “Letter to My Grandchildren” at the end was funny, but only because it was written from a future where because the Democrats were elected into power, all the ills of society were fixed (in about 3 months). And even if they somehow got God to be their candidate for president that’s not going to happen, given free will and all. (Unless it caused the end of the world, but then the letter wouldn’t make any since anyway.)

No comments: