Monday, November 09, 2009

Quotes from the Wright Brothers

Note quotes labled O are from Orville and ones labled W are from Wilbur.

- I confess that in 1901 I said to my brother Orville that man would not fly for fifty years. -W
- If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance. -O
- Men become wise just as they become rich, more by what they save than by what they receive. -W
- No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris. -O
- The fact that the great scientist believed in flying machines was the one thing that encouraged us to begin our studies. -W
- With all the knowledge and skill acquired in thousands of flights in the last ten years, I would hardly think today of making my first flight on a strange machine in a twenty-seven mile wind, even if I knew that the machine had already been flown and was safe. -O
- I am an enthusiast, but not a crank in the sense that I have some pet theories as to the proper construction of a flying machine. I wish to avail myself of all that is already known and then, if possible, add my mite to help on the future worker who will attain final success. -W
- The airplane stays up because it doesn't have the time to fall. -O

No comments: