Wednesday, July 18, 2018

The Exorcist:

The Exorcist by: William Peter Blatty
Fiction: Paranormal, E-book
E-book Count:25
Book Count:34


One of the categories of the reading challenge is a book that was made into a movie that you have already seen.  As if I know that a movie is based off of a book, I try to read the book first, so I was wondering what movie I could see and then read the book.  However, I saw the movie "The Exorcist" well before I started reading the book first.  (And at a time that I would have to smuggle it into my house to read as its "evil".) Anyway when I saw that the 40th anniversary edition was on Amazon Prime for free, I though, "that will fit this category."

Anyway, as the script of the movie was also written by the author, the movie follows the book fairly well.  There are many scenes that are missing as a book has much more in it then a film, but there are some scenes where it feels that it is a direct copy of the book.  (Like the scene with the priest under the streetlight in the fog was directly from the book.)  Also the number 1 rule of exorcisms is "DO NOT INVITE THE DEMON IN!"  I get that in both the book and the movie Fr. Karras has never done an exorcist before, and only knows about it from book reading, but that seems like something that shouldn't even need to be stated.   Like that should be rule 0 of doing an exorcism.  

No comments: